This time of year we tend to cook a lot of soups and stews but one dish I really like to include as well are salads. My girls can be a little fussy when it comes to keeping up with the 5 a day so I am always looking for different ways to keep them interested and make our meals a little more tasty and with this bright colourful salad packed full of vegetables I was surprised just how much they loved this dish.
What I like about this salad is that you can make it really quickly when you are pushed for time during the week, and you can vary the vegetables you use to suit your favourites. If you prefer to use raw beetroot instead of cooked it’s just as nice and I have used courgette and fennel chopped very finely as well which is a nice change.
I could eat salad every day I love it so much and I really would like my daughters to feel the same, my teen is very picky with vegetables particularly so I was thrilled to bits when she said she really enjoyed this salad. I waited to let her know the ingredients until after she had finished eating and she wasn’t fazed at all when I told her it contained her least favourite two vegetables – beetroot and broccoli !
That’s what I love about playing around with different recipes, you may just find a dish that’s right for you even if you thought you would never eat a specific element of the recipe. A real winner with my family this weekend and I’m so glad to have tried it out, lovely with some crusty bread and a light vinaigrette.
Making this salad gave me the perfect opportunity to try out two kitchen gadgets from IWOOT (short for I Want One Of Those) the vegetable peeler and sharpener in one and the cucumber spiral slicer, you can find these handy gadgets and more from IWOOT on their website just follow this link. I love a gadget and it’s amazing how much more interesting it makes meal times for children when the food looks fun! We had a really fun lunchtime just playing with different shapes and vegetables to make with the two gadgets, and I think they are a really fun idea for something a little different.
- 1 Cup red & white quinoa
- 1/2 cup edamame beans
- 1/2 Cucumber
- 3 Carrots
- 1 beetroot, cooked and cooled
- 1/4 head of broccoli
- 1 can cannelloni beans
- Finely chopped flat leaf parsley
- Lime wedges
- Vinaigrette – olive oil & balsamic vinegar
- First take the beetroot, broccoli and one carrot and place into a food processor and blitz until a fine texture, add to a large salad bowl.
- Add the cannelloni beans, edamame beans, parsley and season and stir the mixture.
- Shred one carrot finely and add to the salad, with the other carrot I made the ‘roses’ to add to the top of the salad with the sharpener tool from IWOOT and the spiral design for the cucumber with the spiral slicer from IWOOT. Arrange the cucumber spirals next to the carrot ‘roses’.
- Serve with the vinaigrette and some crusty bread.
Thank you for reading, I hope you have enjoyed reading about my recipe for Vegetable Quinoa Salad. If you like what you read, subscribe to my blog by adding your e-mail address to the box on the right. You will be the first to hear of my updates.