Total Greek yogurt are holding a competition at the moment to come up with creative and tasty ways to use their Greek Yogurt and share it on social media, so I thought I would have a go and make some tasty dishes for my family. We don’t often have lamb so I wanted to make a dish that we could all enjoy and as I had some spicy curry powder from Seasoned Pioneers (Goan Xacuti) I decided I would try a marinade for the lamb with a simple salad. The spicy lamb recipe can be as spicy as you like as you could add more curry powder if you like it a bit hotter, or less as I did if you (or your children) don’t.
If you want to join in and submit a recipe why not make a dish with some Total Greek yogurt in and share the photo on social media, just add this hashtag – #TryTotal to the photo when you post it. They do ask that when you share the recipe you add how many ingredients you used such as Total +4 – I’m, cutting it a bit fine as it ends on Saturday 28th February but I have had a lot of fun making this and the Lemon and Raspberry Fool Recipe.
What I love about this recipe is that it is very different to my usual family meals and it gave a little something different for the children to try out. I do like to vary my family meals and I really love the flavour of Greek yogurt so it was good to have a go-to recipe using it up in a totally different way. Mealtimes can so often get really boring and humdrum and it’s good to try a different flavour or even try a vegetable you usually have – but cooked or presented in a different way.
With so much inspiration out there on the internet and in the hundreds of cook books available there really is no excuse to find the dishes that fit your life, and I am slowly cooking my way out of my same-old-same-old rut one dish at a time, even if it is just a couple of times a week to shake up the monotony!
- 3- 4 Lamb steaks
- 150 g Total Greek Yogurt
- 2-3 tablespoons of curry powder, I used Seasoned Pioneers Goan Xacuti curry powder
- Juice of 1/4 lemon
- Shredded iceberg lettuce
- Cucumber salad
- Coriander leaves
- First mix the curry powder with the Total Greek Yogurt and add the fresh lemon juice.
- Add to the lamb steaks and mix ensuring all the meat is well covered by the yogurt mixture and season. Leave for minimum of half an hour to marinade.
- Pre-heat the grill for about 10 minutes before you start to cook the lamb, add the lamb steaks to a wire grill and position close to the grill itself (2-3 cm) to achieve the lovely charred effect that gives this dish a great taste.
- Cook for about 10 minutes on each side, or until cooked through, then remove from the heat and let it rest while you prepare the salad.
- Arrange the shredded lettuce on a plate, and add some coriander leaves. Cut the cucumber lengthways and using a vegetable peeler, cut the cucumber into long strips, add to a dish season and add some fresh lemon juice to taste.
- Slice the lamb and add to the shredded lettuce and serve.