We have had a few days of trying out different salads and over the weekend we tried out some of my all time favourite’s. The girls are not always the biggest fan’s of salad’s and quite often it’s hit and miss if they give my salad’s the thumbs up, so I wanted to try a few very different dishes out to show them salads don’t need to be boring and bland and a simple dressing can make all the difference. It’s a quick and easy weekday salad to make that’s surprisingly filling and very tasty.
They love to have some lemon or lime wedges to squeeze on themselves. and I always think it’s these little changes that help kids to explore new and different dishes with success. Having both my girls help me make this salad also helped them want to eat it up as it was fun to do together and so easy and quick too, no time to get bored waiting around. You can either use a grilled or pan fried chicken breast, or just use left over cold roast chicken if you have some from the day before. Serve with garlic bread, lemon wedges and a simple vinaigrette.
- 2 cups baby leaf spinach
- 2 cups mixed baby salad leaves
- Sliced mixed peppers (I used red, yellow and green)
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes
- 2 celery sticks chopped
- 1/2 cucumber sliced finely
- Finely chopped flat leaf parsley
- Finely chopped coriander
- Chicken breast – cooked
- 1 lemon sliced into wedges
- Garlic bread
- Vinaigrette (olive oil and balsamic vinegar)
- Add the baby leaf spinach and the mixed salad leaves to a large salad bowl and mix.
- Next add the mixed peppers, tomatoes, celery, cucumber and herbs and combine until mixed through.
- Season to taste.
- Slice the chicken breast and arrange on the top of the salad with the lemon wedges and serve with garlic bread and a light vinaigrette.