Pancake Day Recipe Idea
Following a healthy start to the new year by juicing and exercising more, this Pancake Day I decided to have a slightly healthier option and came up with this Protein Pancake Recipe. I used some vanilla protein powder but you can experiment with different flavours to your taste. It’s hard to think of pancakes as a healthy option but these Protein Pancakes are a great source of protein and carbohydrates and if you really can’t do without a sweet addition then why not add some Rice Malt Syrup, this will satisfy the sweetest tooth.
These Protein Pancakes needn’t be boring, you can serve them with peanut butter, bananas, fresh berries or figs. This healthier option will help you to maintain your fitness goals and feel like you aren’t missing out this pancake day.
- 30g oats (plain)
- 2 medium eggs
- 80g protein powder (I used vanilla)
- 50 – 80 ml skimmed milk, enough to form a smooth batter.
- Add all the ingredients to a blender until a smooth batter forms.
- Brush a little oil onto a hot pan or griddle and pour some batter into the pan to make your first pancake.
- When the edges start to brown and the pancake starts to bubble, flip the pancake and cook for a further few minutes.
- Continue until all the batter has been used up and serve immediately.
Even though these are a perfect healthier option this pancake day, my daughter’s do prefer the more traditional pancake so I will be making them their favourite (and my childhood favourite) pancakes with sugar and lemon. Have a look at this Perfect Basic Pancake recipe as it is a tried and tested one that works a treat every time. Or if you are after a more American style of pancake take a look at this simple American Style Pancake recipe for light and fluffy pancakes every time.
As well as using caster sugar in these basic pancake recipe’s I do tend to add a little vanilla extract, either to the batter or to the sugar beforehand. For flavour it is best to use quality vanilla extract and the Neilsen-Massey extracts taste strong and natural and ideal for adding to a basic batter.