Thankfully when they were baked, turned out and presented to her she loved them and has even asked me to make them again soon, and it’s not even that she doesn’t like butternut squash, she loves it but the thought of adding something so savoury to a sweet treat sounded so wrong to her!
This recipe was a hit with my family, both the girls I am happy to say really want me to bake this again, and it’s very simple to throw together. The result of adding the butternut squash to the Blondie gives a moistness to a potentially dry mix and the hint of the cinnamon works so well. I don’t often bake gluten free but I really enjoyed the challenge and if you leave out the white chocolate this is a sugar free treat too. I have recently swapped using sugar in my baking for agave syrup and really like the taste, you don’t need to add much as it is very sweet and you can’t really taste the difference.
- 4 eggs
- 3-4 tablespoons agave syrup
- 240g finely grated fresh butternut squash – peeled
- 45g white rice flour
- 105g ground almonds
- 1.5 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 140g raspberries
- 90g white chocolate chopped into small pieces
- 35g flaked almonds
- Preheat the oven to 200C / Gas mark 6 and line a square baking tin with baking parchment.
- Beat the eggs and agave syrup in a food mixer for about 5 minutes until tripled in size, smooth and fluffy.
- Add the butternut squash into the mixture and fold in until combined.
- Next add the remaining dry ingredients, the flour, ground almonds, cinnamon, baking powder and salt. Fold in to incorporate until thoroughly mixed.
- Spoon half the mixture into the baking tin evenly and add the raspberries and chocolate pieces on top of the mixture, cover with the remaining mixture smoothing the surface.
- Sprinkle over the flaked almonds and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until just baked.
- Allow the blondie to cool in the tin for 25 minutes and then remove, transfer to a serving dish and sprinkle with a little icing sugar before cutting into slices or squares and serving.