This is a recipe that my girls just love and they never tire of me making them, I do alternate the ingredients with different chocolate, sometimes I add some white chocolate too (Siobhan’s favourite!) and sometimes I just do milk chocolate (Lara’s favourite!) but this version they both love and it’s always the one I make on the first day they go back to school after any holidays. Not just a treat for the kids either as they are so tasty and once you have baked one batch they don’t last long with children and adults alike!
I am linking this recipe up with the #GBBOBloggers2015 with Mummy Mishaps following along with the weekly themes of GBBO and I have loved baking these cookies again as they are one of our family favourites.
- 200g softened unsalted butter
- 320g light soft brown sugar
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 100g dark chocolate broken into pieces
- 100g milk chocolate broken into pieces
- Preheat your oven to 170C / gas mark 3 and prepare a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Add the butter and sugar to your bowl and either use a food mixer to cream or use an electric hand whisk. Once the mixture is pale and light slowly add the beaten eggs to the mixture until combined.
- Using a spatula scrape down the sides and then add the vanilla extract to the mixture.
- Add the sieved flour, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder to the bowl and combine until smooth.
- Once combined add the chocolate pieces and fold into the mixture.
- Using a spoon for even sized cookies, scoop out some of the cookie dough and shape with your hands to add to the baking sheet leaving plenty of room in between the cookies to allow for spreading.
- Bake the cookies in batches for 5-7 minutes and then remove, firmly bang the tray on a hard surface to allow the cookies to flatten a little and then return the cookies to the oven and bake for 7-10 minutes checking them to see when they have turned a golden brown colour.
- Once baked remove carefully and transfer to a wire rack to cool. Keep in an air tight container.
Thank you for reading, I hope you have enjoyed reading about my recipe for Double Chocolate Cookies. If you like what you read, subscribe to my blog by adding your e-mail address to the box on the right. You will be the first to hear of my updates.