Can it already be week 3 of GBBO? If you have been following along you will know it was bread week with some seriously impressive bakes from the contestants. Cue a not so great week for me on the baking front as three attempts later I managed to bake this crusty Chocolate Nutella Bread which turned out to be a big favourite with my two girls. Having a temperamental oven doesn’t help matters when you are trying to perfect bread making and my first recipe was a chocolate and cherry cake (hence the cherries in the photos!) but while I was proving the first loaf I think I managed to kill off any yeast which was trying to activate in a too warm proving shelf. I say *proving shelf* but really it’s just the grill with everything removed, just enough room to prove the dough and the residual heat from the oven *should* be just enough to give a good rise. Or so I thought!
As it turned out my plaited chocolate cherry loaf turned out flat and very dense, it helped with the final bake and after proving twice I managed to get a good rise and all in all a tasty loaf. Adding the Nutella gives a tasty chocolate flavour without being too overpowering plus it helped with keeping the loaf moist as well. Instead of plaiting the Chocolate Nutella Loaf I opted to play it safe and shape a round loaf as my first attempt ended in a very flat plaited loaf.
Equipment I Used
For this weeks challenge instead of kneading the dough or using a machine with a dough hook I used the Nutri Ninja System to mix and knead the dough. I initially used it as well for my (failed!) cherry chocolate loaf not only to mix the dough but also to blitz the chocolate chunks to add to the dough as well. It made such light work of all the preparation as well as mixing the dough and was so easy too, and a feature I must point out is that it’s a breeze to clean – music to my ears!
The Nutri Ninja Compact Kitchen System is a one stop shop for every imaginable cooking and baking task and really is a gem for any household and as the name suggests it is really usable as it is very compact and unobtrusive on the kitchen counter. I used the dough blades in the food processing bowl for the dough which was so easy and with the suction cups at the base to hold it steady there was no chance it would creep along the work surface while in use! It’s a nifty addition to the kitchen and one of those appliances that you don’t realise you need until you use it as it has so many features. It’s a first for me to be able to use one machine to blend, chop as well as getting my cakes and bakes oven ready so I’m keen to find out the capabilities of the machines features and the Bake Off is the ideal time to do so. That and the fact my daughter has her 17th birthday looming this month too so I shall most certainly be using the Nutri Ninja to make her an extra special celebration cake.
- 1kg strong bread flour
- 14g dried yeast
- 10g salt
- 600ml water
- 3tbsp Nutella spread
- Combine the flour yeast and salt in a clean bowl and slowly add the water, mix with your hands until the dough starts to come together.
- Once it has come together add in the Nutella and mix.
- Either knead by hand for up to 10 minutes or use a food mixer with a dough hook attachment or if using a Nutri Ninja System as I did use the food processing bowl.
- Place the dough in a lightly floured bowl, cover and leave in a warm place to prove for up to 1.5 hours or until it has doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 7/220C
- Once proved tip out onto a clean lightly floured surface and knock it back and form the dough into a round loaf shape (or into smaller loafs) slash the top and add to a baking tray and put into the oven to bake for 40-50 minutes. If you notice after 20 minutes the crust is browning too fast reduce the heat to Gas Mark 5 and keep checking to ensure it doesn’t burn.
- Remove from the oven and if serving warm slice straight away to enjoy.
I am linking up with Mummy Mishaps and the #GBBOBloggers2016 and what a fantastic line-up of bakes have been entered to Jenny’s linky – if you are looking for baking inspiration this is the perfect place to start!
Thank you for reading, I hope you have enjoyed reading my post about my recipe for Chocolate Nutella Bread.. If you like what you read, subscribe to my blog by adding your e-mail address to the box on the right. You will be the first to hear of my updates.