Carrot & Ginger Cupcakes
Carrot & Ginger Cake
I made these carrot and ginger cupcakes on a rainy afternoon with my girls, we had quite a lot of bater so we ended up making a cake too. The idea for these cakes came when I was looking for a wintery recipe for Lara my youngest to take to her school Christmas party. We decided on carrot and ginger and had a lot of fun decorating them with the cream cheese frosting.
Although my teen thought it sounded gross that there were vegetables in the cakes, she had to agree when they were baked and ready to eat, that they tasted very good and not at all like vegetables!
The decorating was made so much easier with the help of The Little Venice Cake Company’s useful and useable products made especially for baking, I have been trying out a range of their products and can’t stop using them!
The Professional Modelling Kit has been a real help in making decorations for my cupcakes and cakes, and the 26 piece Piping Nozzle Tip and Cleaner Set I have been using so much, and the beauty of this kit is that the nozzles are so easy to clean, with no chance of the nozzles getting lost as they all come in a handy case. Take a look at the extensive range of products to help you achieve a professional look to your baking on the DoCrafts website.
- 400 g carrots – peeled and grated
- About 1 – 2 inches of peeled and grated fresh ginger
- 80 ml semi skimmed milk
- 4 medium eggs
- 250 ml Good Oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 400 g caster sugar
- 500 g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 75 g pecans, roughly chopped
- 250 g cream cheese
- 100 g unsalted butter, softened
- Zest from 1 orange
- 500 g icing sugar
- Preheat your oven to 170 C / gas mark 3
- Line your cupcake trays with cupcake liners, and if you are also baking a cake as I did also grease and line two sandwich tins with baking paper.
- Using a food mixer with a paddle attachment, add the carrots, fresh ginger, milk, eggs, vanilla essence, Good Oil and the caster sugar and combine thoroughly.
- Sieve the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, salt and the dry spices and then slowly add this mixture to the food mixer in batches until the two are combined, mixing well after each addition.
- Once it is all combined stir in the pecans and mix gently.
- Add to the prepared cupcake cases and/or the sandwich tins evenly and place in the preheated oven for about 30 minutes.
- Once ready remove from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool.
- While cooling make the frosting by adding the butter and sifted icing sugar to the food mixer and beating with the paddle attachment until combined.
- Next add the cream cheese and the orange zest, turn up the speed on the food mixer and mix until smooth and creamy.
- I added the frosting to a piping bag and piped the frosting onto the cupcakes, and added it to the centre of the sandwich layers and also piped on the top of the cake.
Thank you for reading, I hope you have enjoyed my Carrot and Ginger cupcake recipe. If you like what you read, subscribe to my blog by adding your e-mail address to the box on the right. You will be the first to hear of my updates.