No bat wing in the cupcakes ! But instead chocolate and orange with a vanilla icing to finish. A fun recipe to do with your children, I made these with my girls and they really enjoyed making them together. They smell lovely when they are baking as the kitchen is full of the smell of orange and chocolate, these cupcakes are a lovely treat for your Halloween party. I found some great decorations this Halloween to put on top of the cupcakes and although quite simple they turned out to be really effective. I added a little edible sparkle to finish which I love as everything looks better with a sprinkle of glitter!
200 g unsalted butter
200 g golden caster sugar
3 large eggs
3 tablespoons milk
120 g self raising flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
125 g softened butter
250 g icing sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla essence or vanilla paste
- Preheat your oven to 200 C/ gas mark 6 and line your baking tray with cupcake cases.
- In a food mixer (or by hand) add the butter and sugar and cream until pale and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time ensuring you scrape the bowl down after each addition.
- Add the milk and combine thoroughly.
- Sieve the flour and baking powder and incorporate into the mixture.
- Finally add the orange zest and the broken chocolate and mix gently.
- Add the mixture to the cupcake cases, filling two thirds full, I use an ice cream scoop for a consistent bake and even sized cupcakes.
For The Vanilla Icing
To make the icing you need to add the butter, icing and the vanilla essence and beat until pale and fluffy, add to a piping bag and pipe onto the cupcakes.
Decorate with the sugar Halloween decorations and sprinkle with a little glitter.