Bakewell Tart With Homemade Strawberry Jam
Bakewell tart is one of my favourite sweet treats as I love the taste of almonds. This time I used wholemeal flour in the pastry for a little variation, and instead of the traditional raspberry jam, I used my Strawberry Fridge Jam.
175 g / 6 oz Wholemeal flour
75 g / 2.5 oz chilled butter
100 g / 3.5 oz caster sugar
Zest of one lemon
30 ml cold water
For The Filling
3 Tablespoons plain flour
Preheat the oven to 200C / 400F / Gas mark 6
1. To make the pastry place the flour and butter in a bowl and rub in the butter until you have a mixture that resembles fine breadcrumbs.
2. Add in the water to make a soft pliable dough.
3. Lightly flour your surface and rolling pin, then roll out the dough to fit your flan tin approx 8 inches, put the pastry into the flan tin and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
4. Line with foil and place in the baking beans and then bake blind for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven, take out the foil with the baking beans and return the flan to the oven for another 5 minutes.
5. Spread the jam evenly onto the base of the flan.
6. Cream the butter, sugar, almond essence and lemon zest until well beaten and pale.
7. Add the egg, beat well. If using a cake mixer, turn down and add the baking powder, ground almonds and flour until incorporated.
8. Spread evenly into the flan, on top of the jam, place into the oven for approx 30-40 minutes, or until golden brown on top.
9. Take out the flan and allow to cool before serving.
You can decorate the flan with flaked almonds, or with icing, or just with a dusting of icing sugar as I have.
Thank you for reading, if you liked what you read, subscribe to my blog by adding your e-mail address to the box on the right. You will be the first to hear of my updates.
Also linking with Natasha In Oz and her #SayGdayParty