Chocolate Cupcakes with Hershey's Cookies 'n' Creme Chocolate and a Meringue Icing
Who doesn't love the smell of baking chocolate cupcakes? I know every time I bake these my children just can't wait to taste them, and this time I used a Hershey's - cookies and creme bar that I had received from Candy Craft UK . You can read my review about the subscription for Candy Crate UK here
When I bake for my family I like to consider everyone's tastes and Mr MFT really doesn't like butter icing, so I am always looking for alternative toppings for cakes and cupcakes, this Meringue Icing is a winner everyone loves it's sweet loveliness. These go like hot cakes though and Mr MFT has to be quick to try one!
You can swap the Hershey's chocolate for any other good quality chocolate, it goes well with milk chocolate or even flavoured chocolate, I have tried it with several of the Green & Black's chocolate flavours, the Butterscotch and the Maya Gold work really well.
This recipe will make 18 regular sized cupcakes and the Meringue icing will easily ice them all. All ingredients are at room temperature and where possible use free range eggs.
115 g Hershey's Cookies 'n' Creme
90 g unsalted butter (room temperature)
175 g soft brown sugar
3 medium eggs, separated
185 g plain flour
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
A pinch of salt
250 ml semi-skimmed milk (room temperature)
1.5 teaspoons good quality vanilla essence
For The Meringue Icing
5 medium egg whites
225 g golden caster sugar
1.5 tablespoons cornflour
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 5 / 190 C
- Line your cupcake baking trays with 18 cupcake cases
- Simmer some water in a saucepan and place a bowl on top being careful not to let the bowl touch the water, add the chocolate to the bowl and melt, leave to cool a little.
- I used a food mixer and into this I put the sugar and butter and creamed until creamy and pale.
- Add each egg yolk slowly into the sugar and butter mixture and combine well after each one is added, scraping down the bowl when necessary.
- Add the melted chocolate to the mixture and beat well
- Mix together the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt in a bowl
- Add the vanilla extract to the milk and set aside
- Start adding the flour mixture and the milk mixture alternately to the sugar, butter and chocolate mixture, do this bit by bit very slowly, beating well with each addition.
- Once combined set aside and in a clean bowl with the whisk attachment, whisk the egg whites to stiff peaks.
- Fold the egg whites into the batter set aside, carefully until combined, taking care not to beat the air out of the egg whites.
- Add the mixture to the cupcake cases (I find it easiest to use an ice-cream scoop) and fill them roughly three quarters full.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 20-25 minutes or until you test them with a skewer and it comes out clean.
- Leave the cupcakes in their cupcake baking tray to cool for about 10 minutes, and then transfer them to a wire baking rack to cool.
- Once cooled completely you can add the icing. To make the Meringue Icing you need a clean bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks are formed.
- Combine the golden caster sugar and the cornflour and add 1 tablespoon of the mixture to the whisked egg whites and whisk until totally mixed, this will take a few minutes.
- With the food mixer still whisking on low, slowly add the rest of the sugar and cornflour mixture until the mixture is glossy and fully combined.
- The Meringue Icing is then ready to use immediately, place into a piping bag and pipe onto the cooled chocolate cupcakes.
- You can decorate them with chocolate pieces or chocolate biscuits broken up and sprinkled on top, but they work really well with just the Meringue Icing on it's own
I hope you have enjoyed reading about this recipe as much as I have enjoyed sharing it with you, I would love to hear your thoughts on it, please feel free to comment below and let me know what you think.
Thank you for reading, if you liked what you read, subscribe to my blog by adding your e-mail address to the box on the right. You will be the first to hear of my updates.
Follow my blog with Bloglovin
You can use the links below to follow my social media pages to keep current with all my new posts.
Facebook Twitter Pinterest Instagram Google+
I am linking up this recipe with Honest Mum and #tastytuesdays